This is the TimeToTrade help wiki. Use the TimeToTrade Trigger Trading Technology™ to execute your trades when Price, Candle Stick, Trend Line, Volume and Technical Analysis chart conditions are met - no coding required. Trade directly in the world’s global markets. Backtest your Trading Strategies. Calculate your UK HMRC Capital Gains Tax liabilities. Manage your Investment Club.
Time Weighted Returns
Time Weighted Return (TWR) is a means of measuring portfolio performance over time, independent of the amount invested or withdrawn.
Time Weighted Return metrics enable you to compare the value of your portfolio over a selected time frame i.e. the emphasis is on the return achieved over a period of time. When using Time Weighted Return metrics such as the Unit Valuation System, it is important to note that the timing of when cash is deposited or withdrawn is not considered; you are simply concerned with the amount of capital under investment and the overall return for the selected time frame.
For example, let us consider the application of the Unit Valuation System Time Weighted Metric to the following example:
- on the 1st of April 2007, you invest £10,000 in a portfolio of shares. Using the Unit Valuation System, you issue 10,000 units at a unit value of £1 per unit. Please click on this link for a tutorial on how Unit Value is calculated
- on the 1st of May 2007 your portfolio is still worth £10,000 i.e. it has not increased or decreased in value. As the portfolio value has not changed, the unit value is still £1 i.e. the portfolio value divided by the number of units in circulation, which is £10,000 divided by 10,000 units. You now decide to increase your investment in your portfolio by depositing another £5,000 into your trading account, and in doing so you increase your portfolio value to £15,000. Using the Unit Valuation System, the number of units that you now own is increased from 10,000 to 15,000 i.e. you have purchased £5,000 worth of units at a price of £1 per unit, which results in your total portfolio value (aka Net Asset Value) increasing to £15,000 and the number of units in circulation increasing to 15,000. After the cash has been deposited and the new units issued, the unit value remains at £1 per unit i.e. £15,000 divided by 15,000 units.
- on the 1st of June 2007 your portfolio has doubled in value from the previous month and is now worth £30,000. As a result of the increase in the value of the portfolio, the unit value is now £2 i.e. the Portfolio value of £30,000 divided by the number of units in circulation, which is 15,000 units.
If you compare the unit value on the 1st of June 2007, to the unit value on the 1st of May, the associated rate of return is 100% i.e. your unit value has doubled. If you compare the unit value on the 1st of June 2007, to the unit value on the 1st of April 2007, the associated rate of return is also 100% and the cash deposited on the 1st of May did not affect the rate or return. It is important to note that the rate of return on the 1st of June is exactly the same when compared to the 1st of April and the 1st of May i.e. the time that has elapsed from the initial investment is not factored into the Time Weighted Rate of Return. It is also important to note that the timing of the deposit of additional cash into your trading account, did not impact your rate or return.
It has never been easier to execute your trading strategy. Our Trigger Trading Technology ® means you can now automatically execute your trades directly in the world’s global markets.
You need never miss a trading opportunity again!
Do you want to:
- buy when your technical analysis chart conditions are met? Really buy, not just get an email or sms alert?
- or sell when a support trend line is broken?
- or back-test your strategy going back as far as 30 years?
TimeToTrade's Trigger Trading Technology™ is truly game changing. It gives you a trading advantage. The power to take your trading to a new level.
Open a FREE TimeToTrade account today to:
- Trade UK, US and European Shares - apply now
- Execute trades when your Price, Candlestick, Trend Line, Volume and Technical Analysis chart conditions are met using the Trigger Trading Technology® - learn more - help video
- Email and SMS Trigger Trading™ Alerts - learn more
- Trade Off The Chart - learn more
- Back Test Trading Strategies with up to 30 years of historical data - learn more
- Create Simulated Trading Accounts to test your Trigger Trading™ Strategies - learn more
- Real time Forex, UK, European and US stock market data - learn more
- 170+ Technical Analysis and Candlestick Pattern Indicators - learn more
- All the tools you need to set up and run a successful investment club - learn more
- Manage your Portfolio and calculate UK HMRC Capital Gains liabilities and SA 108 CGT Tax Returns - learn more
- Create Trading Competitions for you and your friends - learn more
- Apply for a trading account today to get the Live Account Features - apply now
Apply now to try our superb platform and get your trading advantage.
The information and data provided is for educational and informational purposes only. Interpretation and use of the information and data provided is at the user's own risk. All information and data on this website is obtained from sources believed to be accurate and reliable. However, errors or omissions are possible due to human and/or mechanical error. All information and data is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. We make no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of the information and data on this site and we reserve the right, in its sole discretion and without any obligation, to change, make improvements to, or correct any errors or omissions in any portion of the services at any times. Past performance is not a guarantee of future results. Trading carries a high level of risk to your capital and can result in losses that exceed your deposits. It may not be suitable for everyone so please ensure you fully understand the risks involved.
All services are provided by TigerWit Limited. TimeToTrade is a trading name of TigerWit Limited (a company registered in England and Wales under number 9479466). Our Registered address is TigerWit, 7th Floor, Augustine House, 6A Austin Friars, London, EC2N 2HA, England. TigerWit Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority number 679941.
The trading services offered by TigerWit Limited are not available to residents of the United States and are not intended for the use of any person in any country where such services would be contrary to local laws or regulations. Subscriptions to TimeToTrade products are available if you are not eligible for trading services.
Spread bets and CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 64% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading spread bets with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how spread bets and CFDs work, and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money. All clients should be aware that trading involves risk.