This is the TimeToTrade help wiki. Use the TimeToTrade Trigger Trading Technology™ to execute your trades when Price, Candle Stick, Trend Line, Volume and Technical Analysis chart conditions are met - no coding required. Trade directly in the world’s global markets. Backtest your Trading Strategies. Calculate your UK HMRC Capital Gains Tax liabilities. Manage your Investment Club.
Return of Capital Rolls Royce April 2015
Rolls Royce initiated a £1bn Return of Capital via a share buyback. This article discusses how to enter the new class of shares issued using timetotrade accounts and in turn calculate the apportioned cost of the new class of shares.
Some background reading that may be of interest:
This example will discuss the £250m return of captial in April 2015. The key dates and terms associated with the return of capital are:
- Holders on the register as at 24th April 2015 will receive 141 'C' non-cumulative redeemable preference shares of £0.001 for each ordinary share held, equivalent in value to a payment of £0.141 per share.
The holders have three choices on what to do with the newly issued 'C' shares:
- Option 1 – Shareholders can to elect to redeem the 'C' Shares at their nominal value of £0.001 per share. This is the default behaviour for most brokers. The redemption proceeds are expected to be paid by Rolls Royce on or around 3 July 2015.
- Option 2 - Shareholders can elect to use the redemption proceeds to participate in a C Share Reinvestment Plan operated by the Registrar.
- Option 3 - Shareholders can elect to retain the 'C' Shares.
For each of the options, follow the steps outlined below to calculate the apportioned cost of the 'C' Shares. Thereafter enter a sell transaction for the C Shares based on the price offered at date and time of sale. If the capital was reinvested, as per option 2, enter a buy transaction including the broker charges and stamp duty.
The return of capital under Capital Gains will be treated as a 'Capital Reorganisation' when using timetotrade. The following links provide some background reading on Capital Reorganisations, plus they provide an explanation of how 'Small' or 'Large' cash settlement amounts are treated:
If as part of the Rolls Royce Capital Reorganisation, if the cash issue settlement is greater than £3,000 and represents more than 5% of the market value of your Rolls Royce holding immediately before the Reorganisation, it is considered Large cash and cost will be allocated to the cash received to determine the profit on the cash received. If the amount of cash received is considered 'Small', the apportioned cost of the remaining Rolls Royce shares will be reduced by the value of the Small Cash, which in turn increases the profit, with the end result being that the Small Cash is taxed upon disposal of the Rolls Royce shares.
For this example, it will be assumed that 1,000 Rolls Royce shares where purchased on the 2nd of January 2014 for £12.70. The Rolls Royce share transactions have been entered into timetotrade as per the following screen shot:
To enter the Share Reorganisation, click on the 'share reorganisation' button below the 'Open Positions'. Set the date to the 24th April 2015, which is when the reorganisation occurred:
Click on the 'submit' button then select Rolls Royce from the list of open positions on that date:
Click on the 'submit' button, then select 'Capital Reorganisation' from the drop down menu:
Click on the 'submit' button then enter the Rolls Royce share reorganisation details where:
- Share Issue Ratio is 1 : 1
- The share 'issue price' is the closing price of the Rolls Royce shares on the 24th April 2015, which was £10.50
- Enter the 'cash received' if there where fractional payments
Click on the 'add another' button to enter the C Share details where:
- 141 : 1 Rolls Royce share issue ratio
- The 'C' shares where valued at £0.001 on the 24th of April 2015
Click on the 'submit' button to process the Capital Reorganisation.
The correct costs will now be apportioned when using timetotrade to Generate UK HMRC SA108 or Investment Club Tax Return form 185.
It has never been easier to execute your trading strategy. Our Trigger Trading Technology ® means you can now automatically execute your trades directly in the world’s global markets.
You need never miss a trading opportunity again!
Do you want to:
- buy when your technical analysis chart conditions are met? Really buy, not just get an email or sms alert?
- or sell when a support trend line is broken?
- or back-test your strategy going back as far as 30 years?
TimeToTrade's Trigger Trading Technology™ is truly game changing. It gives you a trading advantage. The power to take your trading to a new level.
Open a FREE TimeToTrade account today to:
- Trade UK, US and European Shares - apply now
- Execute trades when your Price, Candlestick, Trend Line, Volume and Technical Analysis chart conditions are met using the Trigger Trading Technology® - learn more - help video
- Email and SMS Trigger Trading™ Alerts - learn more
- Trade Off The Chart - learn more
- Back Test Trading Strategies with up to 30 years of historical data - learn more
- Create Simulated Trading Accounts to test your Trigger Trading™ Strategies - learn more
- Real time Forex, UK, European and US stock market data - learn more
- 170+ Technical Analysis and Candlestick Pattern Indicators - learn more
- All the tools you need to set up and run a successful investment club - learn more
- Manage your Portfolio and calculate UK HMRC Capital Gains liabilities and SA 108 CGT Tax Returns - learn more
- Create Trading Competitions for you and your friends - learn more
- Apply for a trading account today to get the Live Account Features - apply now
Apply now to try our superb platform and get your trading advantage.
The information and data provided is for educational and informational purposes only. Interpretation and use of the information and data provided is at the user's own risk. All information and data on this website is obtained from sources believed to be accurate and reliable. However, errors or omissions are possible due to human and/or mechanical error. All information and data is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. We make no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of the information and data on this site and we reserve the right, in its sole discretion and without any obligation, to change, make improvements to, or correct any errors or omissions in any portion of the services at any times. Past performance is not a guarantee of future results. Trading carries a high level of risk to your capital and can result in losses that exceed your deposits. It may not be suitable for everyone so please ensure you fully understand the risks involved.
All services are provided by TigerWit Limited. TimeToTrade is a trading name of TigerWit Limited (a company registered in England and Wales under number 9479466). Our Registered address is TigerWit, 7th Floor, Augustine House, 6A Austin Friars, London, EC2N 2HA, England. TigerWit Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority number 679941.
The trading services offered by TigerWit Limited are not available to residents of the United States and are not intended for the use of any person in any country where such services would be contrary to local laws or regulations. Subscriptions to TimeToTrade products are available if you are not eligible for trading services.
Spread bets and CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 64% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading spread bets with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how spread bets and CFDs work, and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money. All clients should be aware that trading involves risk.