This is the TimeToTrade help wiki. Use the TimeToTrade Trigger Trading Technology™ to execute your trades when Price, Candle Stick, Trend Line, Volume and Technical Analysis chart conditions are met - no coding required. Trade directly in the world’s global markets. Backtest your Trading Strategies. Calculate your UK HMRC Capital Gains Tax liabilities. Manage your Investment Club.
Capital Reorganisation Issues
UK Capital Reorganisation Issues
A Capital Reorganisation Issue is a process of restructuring a companies share capital by returning un-needed capital to shareholders. The process of implementing a Capital Reorganisation varies however as an example a company may decide to replace existing ordinary shares with a different class of shares. For example a typical approach is to replace each existing share holding, of say ten XYZ ordinary shares, with for example nine new XYZ ordinary shares plus ten new 'XYZ B' shares.
The 'B' shares are usually redeemable preference shares for which the company that are issuing the shares offer special purchase arrangements for investors wishing to sell. The terms of the 'B' shares make them generally unattractive to retain.
A Capital Reorganisation Issue is typically used to:
- To reduce the number of ordinary shares in circulation; for example reduce the number of XYZ ordinary shares by 10%
- To provide a mechanism that makes a capital payment to the shareholder (also referred to as a "Return of Capital" or "Capital Distribution"); for example provide 10% of the value of the original shareholding to the investor as capital payment through purchase and cancellation of the B shares.
- To make a reduction in the company's market capitalisation.
Depending upon the relative values involved, the new share price may be little different from the old share price. Until the abolition of the Advanced Corporation Tax (ACT), this convoluted route was preferable to a special dividend, as capital restructuring avoided the need to pay ACT. Since ACT was abolished in April 1999, special dividends are now equally tax-efficient for the company, if not the taxpaying investor.
Managing Capital Reorganisation Issues using timetotrade
To enter a share reorganisation into timetotrade, follow the general instructions defined on the Share Reorganisation page. This section discusses how to enter specific details relating to Capital Reorganisation Issues.
When managing Capital Reorganisation Issues investors are typically told the ratio of old to new shares, or the number of new shares cancelled or received for each class of share associated with the reorganisation. In addition were multiple classes of shares are received the value of each class of share on the date of the Capital Reorganisation is required to apportion cost between the shares. Occasionally there may be cash payments from the disposal of fractional shares or a return of capital to share holders in the form of cash.
You can use timetotrade to either enter the ratio of old to new shares (e.g. 7:9), the value of the shares on the date of the Capital Reorganisation (e.g. £2.50) and any cash received (e.g. 78 pence) as illustrated:
Alternatively you can enter the number of shares received or cancelled by entering a positive number (e.g. "200") or negative number (e.g. -200) into the shares issued text box as illustrated for this second class of shares associated with Capital Reorganisation:
When entering the value of the different classes of shares on the date of the Capital Reorganisation, please note that the value must be entered must be in Pounds, Euro, Dollars etc and not in pence for UK stocks.
Typically Fractional Shares are not issued when reorganising UK companies. If fractional shares are not received leave the default 'Fractional Shares' drop down menu at 'No' as in "No fractional shares were received". Alternatively if you did receive fractional shares, change the fractional shares drop down menu to 'Yes'.
It has never been easier to execute your trading strategy. Our Trigger Trading Technology ® means you can now automatically execute your trades directly in the world’s global markets.
You need never miss a trading opportunity again!
Do you want to:
- buy when your technical analysis chart conditions are met? Really buy, not just get an email or sms alert?
- or sell when a support trend line is broken?
- or back-test your strategy going back as far as 30 years?
TimeToTrade's Trigger Trading Technology™ is truly game changing. It gives you a trading advantage. The power to take your trading to a new level.
Open a FREE TimeToTrade account today to:
- Trade UK, US and European Shares - apply now
- Execute trades when your Price, Candlestick, Trend Line, Volume and Technical Analysis chart conditions are met using the Trigger Trading Technology® - learn more - help video
- Email and SMS Trigger Trading™ Alerts - learn more
- Trade Off The Chart - learn more
- Back Test Trading Strategies with up to 30 years of historical data - learn more
- Create Simulated Trading Accounts to test your Trigger Trading™ Strategies - learn more
- Real time Forex, UK, European and US stock market data - learn more
- 170+ Technical Analysis and Candlestick Pattern Indicators - learn more
- All the tools you need to set up and run a successful investment club - learn more
- Manage your Portfolio and calculate UK HMRC Capital Gains liabilities and SA 108 CGT Tax Returns - learn more
- Create Trading Competitions for you and your friends - learn more
- Apply for a trading account today to get the Live Account Features - apply now
Apply now to try our superb platform and get your trading advantage.
The information and data provided is for educational and informational purposes only. Interpretation and use of the information and data provided is at the user's own risk. All information and data on this website is obtained from sources believed to be accurate and reliable. However, errors or omissions are possible due to human and/or mechanical error. All information and data is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. We make no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of the information and data on this site and we reserve the right, in its sole discretion and without any obligation, to change, make improvements to, or correct any errors or omissions in any portion of the services at any times. Past performance is not a guarantee of future results. Trading carries a high level of risk to your capital and can result in losses that exceed your deposits. It may not be suitable for everyone so please ensure you fully understand the risks involved.
All services are provided by TigerWit Limited. TimeToTrade is a trading name of TigerWit Limited (a company registered in England and Wales under number 9479466). Our Registered address is TigerWit, 7th Floor, Augustine House, 6A Austin Friars, London, EC2N 2HA, England. TigerWit Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority number 679941.
The trading services offered by TigerWit Limited are not available to residents of the United States and are not intended for the use of any person in any country where such services would be contrary to local laws or regulations. Subscriptions to TimeToTrade products are available if you are not eligible for trading services.
Spread bets and CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 77% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading spread bets with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how spread bets and CFDs work, and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money. All clients should be aware that trading involves risk.