This is the TimeToTrade help wiki. Use the TimeToTrade Trigger Trading Technology™ to execute your trades when Price, Candle Stick, Trend Line, Volume and Technical Analysis chart conditions are met - no coding required. Trade directly in the world’s global markets. Backtest your Trading Strategies. Calculate your UK HMRC Capital Gains Tax liabilities. Manage your Investment Club.
Takeovers & Mergers: Cash Settlement
If you are a share holder in a company that is being acquired for a cash settlment, then on take-over your share holding will be sold. After the cash settlement, you will no-longer own shares in the company that was acquired, or the company that acquired your shares. The sale is treated as a normal disposal for Capital Gains Tax purposes.
A shareholder buys 1,000 shares in Company ABC plc @ 100 pence per share.
Cost base for original holding = 1000 x 100p = £1,000
In our example, let us say company XYZ plc takes over ABC plc and in return you receive 200p for each share you hold in ABC plc, your gain would be calculated as:
Acquisition cost = 1000 shares @ 100p = £1,000
Disposal Proceeds = 1000 shares @ 200p = £2,000
Gain = Disposal proceeds - acquisition cost
Gain = £2000 - £1000
Gain = £1,000
For Capital Gains Tax purposes, a full cash settlement is treated in exactly the same way as if you had sold the shares, and so you would input the cash settlement into timetotrade as you would a usual share disposal, as follows:
Firstly, we need to make sure the original share holding is listed in your timetotrade share portfolio. For the purposes of illustration only, we will assume that no commission or stamp duty was paid.
To add the share disposal, click the "add/edit" button as illustrated above. Input the share transaction details as shown:
- Date = date of the takeover, in this example 1st June 2009
- Symbol = this will be the same as the ticker symbol as your existing holding, in this case ABC
- Type = transaction type, your shares are being disposed of in return for a cash settlement. This is accounted for in the same way as a share sale, so select "sell long" from the drop down menu.
- Quantity = the number of shares you are disposing of. In this instance your entire holding of 1,000 shares in ABC plc is being disposed of.
- Price = this is the settlement per share, in this case you will receive 200p per share held in ABC plc.
- Commission = nil in this example
- Tax = nil - you do not normally incur stamp duty tax on disposal
- Cost = this is the total proceeds you receive from the cash settlement, in this example £2,000
When you have input the details for the disposal, click the "add" button. This will update your accounts, as shown below:
You are finished, so click the "cancel" button. Your portfolio has been updated, so you can now go across to the Capital Gains Tax page - via the drop down navigational menu as shown.
As you can see in the screen shot below, the disposal and cash settlement have been correctly accounted for and as expected has given rise to a taxable gain of £1,000.
It has never been easier to execute your trading strategy. Our Trigger Trading Technology ® means you can now automatically execute your trades directly in the world’s global markets.
You need never miss a trading opportunity again!
Do you want to:
- buy when your technical analysis chart conditions are met? Really buy, not just get an email or sms alert?
- or sell when a support trend line is broken?
- or back-test your strategy going back as far as 30 years?
TimeToTrade's Trigger Trading Technology™ is truly game changing. It gives you a trading advantage. The power to take your trading to a new level.
Open a FREE TimeToTrade account today to:
- Trade UK, US and European Shares - apply now
- Execute trades when your Price, Candlestick, Trend Line, Volume and Technical Analysis chart conditions are met using the Trigger Trading Technology® - learn more - help video
- Email and SMS Trigger Trading™ Alerts - learn more
- Trade Off The Chart - learn more
- Back Test Trading Strategies with up to 30 years of historical data - learn more
- Create Simulated Trading Accounts to test your Trigger Trading™ Strategies - learn more
- Real time Forex, UK, European and US stock market data - learn more
- 170+ Technical Analysis and Candlestick Pattern Indicators - learn more
- All the tools you need to set up and run a successful investment club - learn more
- Manage your Portfolio and calculate UK HMRC Capital Gains liabilities and SA 108 CGT Tax Returns - learn more
- Create Trading Competitions for you and your friends - learn more
- Apply for a trading account today to get the Live Account Features - apply now
Apply now to try our superb platform and get your trading advantage.
The information and data provided is for educational and informational purposes only. Interpretation and use of the information and data provided is at the user's own risk. All information and data on this website is obtained from sources believed to be accurate and reliable. However, errors or omissions are possible due to human and/or mechanical error. All information and data is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. We make no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of the information and data on this site and we reserve the right, in its sole discretion and without any obligation, to change, make improvements to, or correct any errors or omissions in any portion of the services at any times. Past performance is not a guarantee of future results. Trading carries a high level of risk to your capital and can result in losses that exceed your deposits. It may not be suitable for everyone so please ensure you fully understand the risks involved.
All services are provided by Mercor Index Ltd. TimeToTrade is a trading name of Mercor Index Ltd (a company registered in England and Wales under number 9479466). Our Registered address is 1st Floor, Aldermary House, 10-15 Queen Street, London, EC4N 1TX. Mercor Index Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority number 679941.
The trading services offered by Mercor Index Ltd are not available to residents of the United States and are not intended for the use of any person in any country where such services would be contrary to local laws or regulations. Subscriptions to TimeToTrade products are available if you are not eligible for trading services.