This is the TimeToTrade help wiki. Use the TimeToTrade Trigger Trading Technology™ to execute your trades when Price, Candle Stick, Trend Line, Volume and Technical Analysis chart conditions are met - no coding required. Trade directly in the world’s global markets. Backtest your Trading Strategies. Calculate your UK HMRC Capital Gains Tax liabilities. Manage your Investment Club.
Different Methods of Calculating Profit
timetotrade supports the following methods of calculating the profit on investments in your portfolios:
This method uses pooling to calculate the cost and related return. When shares or units are acquired, the number of shares or units in the pool increases and the amount paid for them is added to the cost of the pool. For example assume 100 shares in ABC plc are bought at at total cost of £100; after the acquisition the number of shares in the pool are 100 and the total cost of the shares in the pool is £100. If another 400 shares are purchased at a total cost of £900, then the number of shares in the pool is increased to 500 and the cost of the shares in the pool is increased to £1,000.
When shares or units are disposed of, then the number of shares or units in the pool are reduced based on the number disposed of, and the cost of the shares or units in the pool are reduced in proportion to the number sold versus the number originally in the pool. Continuing the previous example were there are 500 shares in a pool with a share pool cost of £1,000, if 125 shares are sold, then the cost of the shares is reduced by 25% i.e. 125 shares sold / 500 shares in the pool = 25%. Therefore after the 125 shares are sold, the remaining cost of the 375 shares in the share pool is 75% x £1000 = £750.
The Absolute Return method calculates the cost of the shares or units in a given company or fund, by determining the total cost associated with the open position, divided by the number of shares or units owned. The total cost is based on the total expenditure associated with buying shares and options (including broker fees and stamp duty), less any income received from dividends or gains or losses associated with selling shares and options. For a detailed discussion on this method click here.
The Absolute return is a very effective way of determining your overall return on a position if you are actively trading an investment as it provides a rolling view of your return.
It has never been easier to execute your trading strategy. Our Trigger Trading Technology ® means you can now automatically execute your trades directly in the world’s global markets.
You need never miss a trading opportunity again!
Do you want to:
- buy when your technical analysis chart conditions are met? Really buy, not just get an email or sms alert?
- or sell when a support trend line is broken?
- or back-test your strategy going back as far as 30 years?
TimeToTrade's Trigger Trading Technology™ is truly game changing. It gives you a trading advantage. The power to take your trading to a new level.
Open a FREE TimeToTrade account today to:
- Trade UK, US and European Shares - apply now
- Execute trades when your Price, Candlestick, Trend Line, Volume and Technical Analysis chart conditions are met using the Trigger Trading Technology® - learn more - help video
- Email and SMS Trigger Trading™ Alerts - learn more
- Trade Off The Chart - learn more
- Back Test Trading Strategies with up to 30 years of historical data - learn more
- Create Simulated Trading Accounts to test your Trigger Trading™ Strategies - learn more
- Real time Forex, UK, European and US stock market data - learn more
- 170+ Technical Analysis and Candlestick Pattern Indicators - learn more
- All the tools you need to set up and run a successful investment club - learn more
- Manage your Portfolio and calculate UK HMRC Capital Gains liabilities and SA 108 CGT Tax Returns - learn more
- Create Trading Competitions for you and your friends - learn more
- Apply for a trading account today to get the Live Account Features - apply now
Apply now to try our superb platform and get your trading advantage.
The information and data provided is for educational and informational purposes only. Interpretation and use of the information and data provided is at the user's own risk. All information and data on this website is obtained from sources believed to be accurate and reliable. However, errors or omissions are possible due to human and/or mechanical error. All information and data is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. We make no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of the information and data on this site and we reserve the right, in its sole discretion and without any obligation, to change, make improvements to, or correct any errors or omissions in any portion of the services at any times. Past performance is not a guarantee of future results. Trading carries a high level of risk to your capital and can result in losses that exceed your deposits. It may not be suitable for everyone so please ensure you fully understand the risks involved.
All services are provided by Mercor Index Ltd. TimeToTrade is a trading name of Mercor Index Ltd (a company registered in England and Wales under number 9479466). Our Registered address is Aldermary House, 10-15 Queen Street, London, EC4N 1TX. Mercor Index Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority number 679941.
The trading services offered by Mercor Index Ltd are not available to residents of the United States and are not intended for the use of any person in any country where such services would be contrary to local laws or regulations. Subscriptions to TimeToTrade products are available if you are not eligible for trading services.